Carrillo Capital Murder Trial: Carrillo admits killing victims i

Carrillo Capital Murder Trial: Carrillo admits killing victims in interview with detectives

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, Texas -

Day two of testimony starts out setting the scene as officers arrive at Jennifer Cruz's house.

A responding officer describes making entry into the home and finding Cruz and Albert Martinez dead in a bedroom. The officer notes Martinez appeared to have been shot in the head and lying in a pool of blood.

Prosecutors also called Jennifer Sustuita, who was in a "loose relationship" with David Carrillo during the time of the murders. Sustuita said Carrillo was having problems with Cruz and testified she saw Carrillo with a black gun the Friday morning before the murder. She also told the jury he said the gun was just for show.

Sustuita said that Friday Carrillo asked her if she had ever shot someone or if she had ever wanted to kill someone. That is what Carrillo was wanting to do to his ex and her boyfriend.

Sustuita, along with a Ruben Romero, were in the house with Carrillo when SWAT showed up to take Carrillo into custody. She said before police arrived Carrillo told her to say he was with her all night and told her not talk about their previous conversations with anyone.

The peak of Wednesday's testimony comes when Detective Yolanda Pena, the lead investigator, takes the stand and prosecutors played a recording of her interview with Carrillo at LPD. 

At first Carrillo appeared emotional about finding out Cruz had been killed. 

In the recording he talked about his relationship with Cruz and how he and Martinez had exchanged threatening messages on Facebook.

Upon further questioning, Carrillo admitted to shooting Cruz and Martinez.

In his statement he says he broke in through the window and went to the back bedrooms where he found the Cruz and Martinez in bed.

Upon confronting them, Carrillo told police Martinez stood up as if he were going to the bathroom, then next thing he knows he shot him. 

He then told Detective Pena where the weapon was stashed.

In the recording, the detectives tried to ask why Carrillo went to Cruz's house to begin with. He mumbled "I don't know."

After the recorded interview ended,  Pena testified there was no firearm found in the house or on Martinez's person.  

Evidence shows Martinez was shot once; Cruz was shot four times. 

Prosecutors will resume Thursday morning. If Carrillo is convicted, he faces life without parole.

  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • Trump says he answered written questions in Mueller probe

    Trump says he answered written questions in Mueller probe

    Friday, November 16 2018 1:10 PM EST2018-11-16 18:10:19 GMT
    Friday, November 16 2018 5:25 PM EST2018-11-16 22:25:41 GMT
    (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta). President Donald Trump acknowledges applause as speaks during a conference supporting veterans and military families through partnership at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on the White House complex in Washingto...(AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta). President Donald Trump acknowledges applause as speaks during a conference supporting veterans and military families through partnership at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on the White House complex in Washingto...
    President Donald Trump says he has answered written questions from special counsel Robert Mueller; Hasn't yet submitted them.
    President Donald Trump says he has answered written questions from special counsel Robert Mueller; Hasn't yet submitted them.
  • CNN's Acosta back at White House after judge's ruling

    CNN's Acosta back at White House after judge's ruling

    Friday, November 16 2018 1:02 AM EST2018-11-16 06:02:43 GMT
    Friday, November 16 2018 5:25 PM EST2018-11-16 22:25:30 GMT
    A judge is expected to announce whether he will order the Trump administration to return the White House press credentials of CNN reporter Jim Acosta.
    A judge is expected to announce whether he will order the Trump administration to return the White House press credentials of CNN reporter Jim Acosta.
  • Officials try to account for hundreds missing in fire's wake

    Officials try to account for hundreds missing in fire's wake

    Friday, November 16 2018 12:50 AM EST2018-11-16 05:50:50 GMT
    Friday, November 16 2018 5:23 PM EST2018-11-16 22:23:33 GMT
    (AP Photo/Noah Berger). Denise Chester, an evacuee of the Camp Fire, hugs her son Antonio Batres as she volunteers sorting clothes at a makeshift shelter in Chico, Calif., on Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2018. Chester, who doesn't want to know yet whether her h...(AP Photo/Noah Berger). Denise Chester, an evacuee of the Camp Fire, hugs her son Antonio Batres as she volunteers sorting clothes at a makeshift shelter in Chico, Calif., on Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2018. Chester, who doesn't want to know yet whether her h...
    At least 63 are now dead from a Northern California wildfire, and officials say they have a missing persons list with 631 names on it in an ever-evolving accounting of the missing.
    At least 63 are now dead from a Northern California wildfire, and officials say they have a missing persons list with 631 names on it in an ever-evolving accounting of the missing.
Powered by Frankly